Rahman Baba got injured at the Africa nations cup in the match between Ghana versus Uganda last week in Gabon. According to a statement issued by Schalke today, “Abdul Rahman Baba’s injury to his left knee was found to be worse than was initially forecasted after his operation in Augsburg yesterday. It presented a picture of a complex rupture to his cruciate ligament along with tears to his internal and external cartilage.
Baba is expected to be on the sidelines for some months to recover from the successful operation.
Therefore, his loan deal with Schalke may have come to an end for this season.
The highly anticipated decision by FIFA over the status of Schalke’s Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting to play in the Bundesliga despite nomination from the Cameroon FA for the Africa cup has been resolved. In a tweet by Schalke late Friday evening, stated, “Choupo is eligible to play tomorrow. FIFA disciplinary committee followed the arguments of Schalke.”
Schalke maintained in their argument that after Choupo-Moting was nominated in the preliminary list by Cameroon FA, they did not get further confirmation from Cameroon, if, the attacker is on the final 23 man list for Africa cup.
The decision by FIFA has erased the confusion and drama over the consequences for Schalke,if, Choupo-Moting was sanctioned. Schalke is plagued with injuries and Choupo-Moting’s services is highly needed at the moment.
Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting explained why he opted out of the Africa nations cup. However, there is confusion over his playing status as the Bundesliga resume tomorrow.
Schalke sports director, Christian Heidel, said at a press conference today, “it states in FIFA statue that when a player does not honor an invitation, then he is not allowed to play for his club during the duration of the tournament. Now, the question is, was Eric Maxim Choupo.Moting invited ? We are of the opinion that he was not invited and therefore should not be sanctioned.”
Heidel also informed Journalists that the club is in constant talks with FIFA and expect a decision latest tomorrow or thereabout. Schalke believe that Choupo-Moting’s case is different from Joel Matip, another Cameroonian, who refused to play for the Indomitable Lions.
It is interesting to note that Choupo-Moting did not announce his retirement from the Indomitable Lions. Let us await the decision of FIFA in relation to the Cameroon national team on the issue.
Victor Obinna came to Darmstadt from Duisburg last Summer. The 29 year old, has a year’s contract with the team. Given the latest utterance from the new coach, Torsten Frings, Obinna’s days at Darmstadt might be numbered. He told Kicker that “We have told him to look for a new club and we will assist him.”
Obinna’s agent, Giuseppe Spitali also told Kicker that he aims to discuss with the club, when they come back from the Winter camp on Friday.
The problem that Obinna has in Darmstadt is that his favorite position in attacking midfield is occupied either by Laszlo Kleinheisler or Jan Rosenthal. Furthermore, the coach that gave him a contract,Norbert Meier is no longer there.
Obinna has played only 38 minutes since he came to Darmstadt.
The winter transfer window ends in January 31st, anything can happen for him before then.
The Africa cup of nations will take place in Gabon soon. However, the tournament has been plauged with players opting out of the tournament. Prominent among the players for Cameroon is Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting. His announcement, came as a big shock to football crazy Cameroonian fans.
Choupo-Moting explained that he decided to stay out of the tournament, because of his commitment to Schalke. His club is hit with lots of injuries and there is no striker with his experience to take charge in his absence.
Also, his contract will soon expire and wants to find a common ground towards renewal.
He came to the conclusion not to play for Cameroon after the Christmas vacation. Although some people were angry and disappointed about his decision, he re-iterated that he has not officially retired from playing for Cameroon.
Foto: Ulrich Wagner
Daniel Opare came to Augsburg with high hopes in 2015. He came from Portugal’s first division FC Porto as a free agent. Unfortunately, he was unable to establish a noticeable influence on the team in all his years in Augsburg.
Opare approached the management of FC Augsburg over his wish to be close to his family in France and in the process have some playing time. His wish has been granted. He moves to Lens on loan until the end of the season. The details of the deal was not disclosed.
It remains doubtful, if, Opare will ever make a break through in Augsburg. The defender had problems in Augsburg because his favorite position is taken by the captain of the team, Paul Verhaegh. He was frustrated most times and watched the beautiful game from the sidelines.
Although, there is a new coach in Augsburg, Manuel Baum finds him surplus to requirements like his predecessors.
Victor Osimhen has been waiting for this day to sign a professional contract when he turns 18. He was officially 18 years old some days ago, but was unveiled at VFL Wolfsburg with the number 18 jersey on Thursday.
Osimhen is a Nigerian attacker who had a wonderful time at the U-17 world cup in Chile in 2015 and top scorer with 10 goals. Wolfsburg signed him from Ultimate Strikers Academy in nigeria for 3,5 million Euros.
Osimhen, rejected offers from clubs like Arsenal, Inter or AC Florence. He decided to pitch his tent with Wolfsburg. He said “my chances of developing are best here.” Also, ” at Arsenal, i do not have a chance of playing in the first team. Wolfsburg is the best place for me to jumpstart my career.”
The coach of Wolfsburg, Valérien Ismael said at the training camp in La Manga, Spain, “he is fast and has a super finishing.”
Osimhen is ready to prove his worth to the team but he is battling with a meniscus operation that was performed in November last year. Ismaël “we intend to build him slowly and must watch his development from week to week.” Already the Super Eagles of Nigeria coach, Gernot Rohr, enquired about Osimhen in prelude to his nomination for the national team. Unfortunately, his recovery from the meniscus operation made Rohr change his mind.
i wish him all the best of luck in the Bundesliga.
Mali international midfielder Sambou Yatabare and Senegal defender Fallou Diagne who have been banished to the reserves since October will remain there until the Winter.
The coach of Werder Bremen, Alexander Nouri, said,” We have taken the decision that they should be with the U-23 until Winter.”
He added,” We have decided for other players in their positions .”
The players have been informed about their degradation and the club expects them to act like professionals.
Signed by two different managers, both Yatabare and Diagne moved to Weser-Stadion this year.
Yatabare, who has 26 caps and three goals for Mali, was signed from Greek club Olympiakos on a deal until June 2019.
Diagne, 27, joined the club on a three-year deal in the summer from French Ligue 1 outfit Rennes.
Anthony Ujah has decided to leave Werder Bremen for Liaoning FC in China. Before the move, there were speculation about his dissatisfaction in Bremen as reported here. In the end, he settled for the wise decision of leaving Bremen to further his career.
The seven times Super Eagles player of Nigeria had an offer from the Chinese club last season, but he refused the offer. Werder Bremen officials confirmed today that the deal is perfect. Although, according to Bremen, they had Ujah in their plans for the coming season, they had to seek an amicable way out to the satisfaction of everybody involved.
The reported transfer fee according to German media was in the neighborhood of 13 million Euro. Ujah came to Werder Bremen from Cologne for 4,5 million Euro.
Ujah joins a fellow African and former Werder Bremen team mate,Assani Lukimya, who left last season.
The deal is a win-win situation for Ujah and Werder Bremen. I hope with more money and playing time, Ujah can find his way in to the Super Eagles again.
picture courtesy © imago
Hannover96 is gradually re-building the core players to play in the second division. Already, some players have exited the relegated side from the Bundesliga. However the fate of the defensive midfielder, Salif Sané is uncertain, after talks reached an impasse over his move from Hannover to Cologne.
At the core of the negotiations is the asking price for Sané. Based on the latest statements from Christian Möckel,right-hand man of manager,Martin Bader, in Express, “president Martin Kind has said yes, to the fact that Sané stays.Except, somebody offers 10 million Euros.If not, he stays. That is it.”
Cologne have already agreed terms with Sané for 3,5 million Euros, but Hannover wants more.Will Cologne back out ? According to Jörg Schmadtke, Cologne’s manager,”we have not taken the topic out of the table. There comes a time, when we need to look at it closely.”
Cologne are looking for alternatives to Sané at the moment with some days remaining to the start of the training season. While Hannover is hoping that Sané stays and bring them back to the Bundesliga.